September 08, 2016

Jared Leto Talks Rebel Style, Gucci's Alessandro Michele, and Why He Hates Shopping




Sept 8, 2016


Jared Leto’s style has gone through many incarnations, but his current phase—of joyfully wearing all the crazy stuff Alessandro Michele puts down the runway at Gucci—is by far our favorite. Unlike that bleached eyebrow moment he had in the late ‘90s (see: Fight Club), Leto’s current look walks the line between everyday and out-there just perfectly.

Following the announcement that Leto would front the very sexy campaign for Gucci’s Guilty fragrances, we had an opportunity to sit down with the actor to talk about his fashion synergy with Michele and his own formula for getting dressed. Here’s what he had to say:

GQ: Have you always thought of yourself as a Gucci guy?

Jared Leto: I never really wore Gucci. I never did. Alessandro has really done the impossible. He’s taken this classic brand and really turned it completely around and taken it in a direction that was so unexpected. [Alessandro and I] met and became friends here in L.A. and then we got to know each other and he asked me to do this. It was really organic and not the way this stuff normally happens. I thought it would be a great opportunity to work with someone that I really like and really respect as an artist. It was an easy yes.

What don’t people know about Alessandro?

I think people would be surprised by his humility. This is an industry that has an abundance of over-confidence. I don’t think anyone would dispute that, and I’m not trying to pick on anybody, but that’s just a fact, right? And sometimes that’s fun. A little ego can be quite entertaining. But [Alessandro is] a very humble, gentle, kind person. And I think that his humanity would probably surprise a lot of people because he’s so confident and bold in the choices that he makes.

What do you make of the stuff he’s been putting down the runway?

I think it’s incredible. I remember seeing this image of these women wearing these bright clothes and patterns and it struck me. I remember taking note and going like, “What is that? Who is that?” and finding out it was Gucci and being surprised. I didn’t think they did that kind of stuff. I think when Tom Ford was there I borrowed a Gucci tux one time and they were very nice and he was very kind. But I hadn’t thought about it in years, and then I saw that image and was really struck by the celebration of color, and nature, and flowers, and animals. He’s finally made clothing for men that is as fun to wear as the clothes that women get to wear. That’s not often the case. There’s a sense of joy and celebration in it.

How do you react to people who give you slack for wearing these kinds of adventurous clothes? Does it affect you?

I really don’t give what I wear very much thought. And I think that’s what you see. I don’t really care what people say. If I’m wearing like a tie-dye onesie and I’m in the middle of the desert, I’m not doing it for fashion points, I’m doing it because it’s fun or it makes me feel good. I kind of follow that when I get dressed. I think if it’s comfortable and it’s cozy and it kind of makes you feel good then those are good reasons to wear something. I mean, if I’m going to the Oscars or something, yes, there are people that are contributing and I’ll tell them what I don’t like or whatever. I know what I don’t like.

How do you come across the stuff you wear? Do you go shopping? Does it just magically appear before you?

I hate shopping at stores, online, anywhere. I will wear the same thing for three years straight unless somebody, like, forces me not to. It’s like, hey, I got this Gucci sweater. [Ed note: It’s embroidered with a large snake on the front.] And so I’m wearing that today. And I wore it yesterday too. Maybe I’ll wear it tomorrow. I just collect stuff, I guess.

What’s your interpretation of the fragrances? How does rebelliousness play in there?

The fragrances are really a dream about the possibilities of a life. Nonconformity, no judgement. I like to think that people can see that and appreciate that idea, and then by some mechanism of wearing the fragrance, sort of carry that idea with them in their own life. Whether it’s a weekend in Louisiana, or in New York City, or in Venice, Italy, or wherever they may be. I think there’s something kind of fascinating and powerful about that.”

There’s something subversive about the scents themselves too. That they’re almost unisex. They’re both strong and soft in their own way.

Yeah, they’re certainly not playing it safe. Nothing is quite what you expect with Gucci. I’m just happy to be a part of their adventure.


Source: GQ.com.

1 comment:

Blogger said...

Enjoy live sex cams? Check out BongaCams.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...